Since the inception of the World Wide Web, habits and behaviors of internet users have been evolving. For example, you may have had a solid knowledge of what your audience was doing online in 2013, but are you aware of their patterns of usage with today’s fast-paced internet? The Pew Research Center indicates that in 2005, just 5% of American adults used at least one social media platform. In 2018, that number has grown to 69%!
We’ve compiled a few intriguing statistics below that may inspire you to fine-tune your online marketing strategy.
Navigating Social Media
- Do you have an older audience? You are mistaken if you assume they aren’t on social media. 41% of the older generation (65+) are on Facebook, with under 10% using Instagram, Linkedin (9%) or Twitter (8%). (Pew Research)
- Are you promoting sharable content? Visual social media content is over 40 times more likely to be shared than any other type. (HubSpot)
- Are you responding to criticism? Of those who reach out to a brand on Twitter to complain, 78% expect to hear a response within 1 hour. (Lithium)
- Are you looking to target millennials and/or women? On Instagram, 90% of users are under 35 years old. And women are more likely to use Instagram than men. (ScienceDaily)
The Power of Organic Search
- What about being listed on page 1 of a Google search? The average traffic share for links on page 1 of a google search is 91.5%! (Chitika) If your business is farther down in the listings, your audience may have a harder time finding you.
- While social media (5%), paid search (10%), and other sources (34%) are on the rise… 51% of all website traffic originates from organic searches. (BrightEdge)
The Rise of Mobile & Voice Search
- It is time to start writing concisely and in a conversational tone to optimize for voice search. ComScore predicts by 2020, 50% of all searches will be voice searches. And According to Google, 20% of current Google searches have “voice intent.”
- Why does your audience use voice search? The primary reason (61%) for using voice search in America is the user’s hands or vision are otherwise occupied. (KPCB Internet Trends)
- According to Think with Google, of mobile searchers who seek something nearby (using a local search), 76% will visit a business within 1 day, and 28% will result in a purchase.
You may have found yourself wondering how your audience is using the internet. Are they engaging with your brand, or are they going to your competitors’ brand? Is your marketing strategy up to date for today’s internet? Rest assured, you aren’t alone if these statistics seem overwhelming. Give Kingfisher Communications a call today to discuss a plan of action that will get your business noticed by online audiences.